Volunteering in Gaziantep
Dates: 01-12-2017 - 30-01-2017
Place: Gaziantep, Turkey
Type: European Voluntary Service
Hosting organization - Gaziantep Training and Youth Association (GEGED) is a non-governmental organization which provides education to adults and young people in Gaziantep. Gaziantep is a province of industry and agriculture. Because of its huge industrial zones and large numbers of factories our city is a good choice for immigrants. Unfortunately, because of the high rate of immigration most of the immigrant families can not reach the social standards of the city for a long time. The children of these families are disadvantaged in education. Some of their younger members work on the streets to earn enough money to cover their living costs. Disadvantaged youngsters and adults of these families are our target group in Gaziantep.
Volunteers will be involved in the following activities:
- Social Works for Kids and Youth in Fewer Opportunities We realized that our kids and youth have got many disadvantages in field of social life. They have less information about human right, gender equality, xenophobia, health, literacy, learning to learn etc... So, We, GEGED decided to assist this target group to develop their personal and social skills, to organise learning activities and workshops by involving young volunteers from all over the world.
- Volunteers for Environment - Our people in Gaziantep with their weak education don’t give enough importance to nature and environment. The knowledge of recycling, reducing and reusing materials is too low. We started an Environment Project in Gaziantep. We are planting trees, gardening, making campaigns, putting recycling boxes to schools.
- Afghan Kids: We organise English lessons for a group of Afghan children using informal process, a midway between playing and learning. The children are between 7 and 15 years old.
- Oncology Hospital: We are going to the Oncology Hospital of Gaziantep every morning to organize animation (painting, handcrafts) for children with leucemia between the age of 5-12.
- High School: We organise once a week an English conversation club at Gaziantep high school. With this activity we give the students the opportunity to have intercultural exchanges.
- Informative activities. We deliver leaflets and visit other organisation to inform them about Erasmus+ and EVS for visibility and dissemination.
- Movie-Media Day: We take short movie about EVS and this project in GEGED and in high school, promoting recycling by EVS many scenarios by each volunteer. During a day we write scenario, take videos, make edit and share on social media. The aim of this activity is being active on social media about Recycling and EVS in Gaziantep.
- Photograph Day: We take photos about problem of Environment in Gaziantep. We present our photos in the exhibition. Exhibition is organized by GEGED once in a 2 weeks. The purpose of this activity is to make awareness about pollution of Gaziantep.
- Recycling Day: First of all we are checking the recycling boxes and producing recycling boxes. The other aim of this day is encouraging students to use recycle bins. Also we update panels, clipboards with slogans and pictures.
- Planting and Seedling Activity: We are planting trees at the forest, village's school and our garden. We started pistachio campaign in Gaziantep. We prepared about 1000 pistachio seedlings in GEGED garden. Then we shared with our neighbours for a year. We will take back after a year and we will plant those pistachio trees at the schools.
- Aged between 18 and 30 years;
- Resident of Ukraine;
- Never took part in another EVS mobility;
- Motivated/interested in the theme of the project;
- Availability to actively participate in all the phases of the project.
The project is funded by the Erasmus+ Programme. All expenses for visa, insurance, accommodation, food and international travel costs are fully covered. The volunteer will also receive pocket money monthly.
How to apply?
In order to apply please send your CV and motivation letter in English (no more than 1 page) to firstname.lastname@example.org and make clear why you’d like to take part in this project.
In the subject of your e-mail please indicate «EVS in Gaziantep».